LIANZA IKAROA LIBRARY EXPERIENCE DAY
Tuesday, August 17, 2021 - 9.00AM - 4.30PM
UPDATE: the whole day session is now FULLY BOOKED - book now to secure your space for the afternoon!
Join us for a professional development day that will inspire, enrich, and connect you with other librarians!
Throughout the day you’ll engage with a range of speakers and activities that will excite your imagination. In the morning we’ll gather to explore Palmerston Norths City Library Blueprint: The City Library Makerspace! The Makerspace is where anyone can learn how to create and share whatever their imagination can conjure. There is fabrication technology, design software and creative tools to use.
In the afternoon, you’ll hear from three speakers, Bruce White on copyright; Cath Sheard on resilience, wellness, and kindness during change; and Alan Dingley who’ll speak about his experience on being a judge for the New Zealand Children and Young Adult Book Awards. There will also be ample opportunity for round table discussions on topics selected from suggestions from attendees. Simply add your ‘hot topics’ to the survey as your register.
The LIANZA Ikaroa Library Experience Day is sure to be an exciting, educational, and fun day where you’ll be able to adapt your learnings into your own library experiences!
The morning (9am-12pm):
We’ll start the morning with a powhiri in the Youth Space, and then spend the remainder exploring our creative side in Blueprint, the City Library Makerspace. Please note this session is limited to 25 participants only & is now fully booked.
The Palmerston North City Library is situated in downtown Palmerston North, with many delicious café options available in the area. Or bring your own lunch!
We encourage you to bring your lunch back to the library and listen to the library’s weekly waiata practice! And, if you want to get a bit more involved, you’re invited to join in on the practice. This is open to the public.
The afternoon (12:45-4:30pm):
Throughout the afternoon, we have a range of inspiring and engaging speakers lined up!
- Bruce White, retired copyright and open access advisor at Massey University, New Zealand – Bruce has worked in both public and university libraries, and his career has spanned the transition from an almost exclusively print-based library environment to a largely electronic one. He will be discussing copyright and open access at his session.
- Cath Sheard, South Taranaki District Council Libraries and Cultural Services Manager – Cath will talk about resilience, wellness and kindness during times of change
- Sharing from librarians what a Te Tiriti led library ‘looks like’ in public, tertiary and special settings
- Round table conversation on various topics (from survey feedback)
- Please answer this short survey - https://forms.gle/Vfw5NdouJFoQEhtF8 which will be used to inform the round table discussion in the afternoon and to plan future LIANZA Ikaroa events.
- Alan Dingley, Palmerston North Intermediate Normal School Librarian - Alan will share his love of children and young adult literature and his experience as a being a judge for the New Zealand Book Awards for Children and Young Adults.
The LIANZA Ikaroa Library Experience Day will conclude at 4.30 pm with an option of a guided tour of the Palmerston North City Library.
Morning and afternoon tea will be provided, by Palmerston North City Library.
If this experience day sounds like something you’d be keen to participate in, don’t be shy, register today and guarantee your spot for the Makerspace and afternoon sessions!
Image credit: Palmerston North Library, Ana Pickering ©